1. Download and run Msvbvm50.exe. This installs the Microsoft Visual Basic 5 Runtime, which is a hard dependency for this software. It will not run without this installed.
2. Right click on setup.exe and select "Properties"
3. Select the Compatibility tab.
4.Set it to run Program in compatibility mode for Windows NT and to run as Administrator.
5. Click "Apply".
6. Run the setup.exe file and follow the prompt.
7. Plug your USB serial adapter in (assuming you don't have a built in 9 pin serial port) and open "Device Manager" from the Control panel.
8. Expand "Ports (COM & LPT)" and right click on (what should be) your only COM port.
9. Go to the "Port Settings" tab and fill out the settings as follows:
Bits Per Second: 9600 bps
Data Bits: 8
Stop Bits: 1
Flow Control: Hardware
Use FIFO Buffers is checked
Both Buffers are set as low as possible.
Make sure to remember the COM Port number, since you'll need to enter it into the programming software.
11. Run the programming software and click on "Options"
12. Select the correct COM port, as applicable.
You're done! That should save everyone a little bit of time.